United We Learn is the vision for the future of public education in Kentucky. The Kentucky Department of Education is looking for a diverse set of stakeholders who can work and learn together in an inclusive and empathetic way. Members should be interested in exploring how we create the future of education by advancing three connected ideas: vibrant learning experiences for every student; encouraging innovation in assessment and accountability; and collaborating closely with communities. This effort is supported with funds from the Competitive Grants for State Assessments through the U.S. Department of Education.
As the body that will house the design and development activities under this project, the Kentucky United We Learn Council will be established with structures and systems that are consistent with its purpose of supporting inclusive state and local co-creation and facilitating local ownership of solutions that will support the three big ideas of United We Learn. The council will coordinate standing committees that meet regularly to advance work on their key missions and deliverables. It also will partner with KDE and the Kentucky Board of Education (KBE) to advance the work laid out in the United We Learn report.
All meetings will be available as virtual meetings and will be open to the public.
Purpose of the Kentucky United We Learn Council
The council was created to give a broad stakeholder voice to the process of learning in Kentucky. This will go along with the Kentucky United We Learn work already underway in the field, and the council will evaluate and recommend strategic practice, policy and investment ideas to state policymakers and the citizens of Kentucky. The state commissioner of education and the council’s chair will work with KDE staff, KBE and if necessary, the Kentucky General Assembly to respond to the United We Learn Council’s recommendations.
The council will be composed of three standing committees:
- Creating Vibrant Learning Experiences: Support local communities to transform the student learning experience. Learn from what is happening in the field, especially related to: Deeper Learning, Project-Based Learning and Local Laboratories of Learning.
The members of the council will:
- Accelerating Innovation: Support scaling of innovations within and across communities through changes in assessment and accountability.
- Building a Bold New Future with Communities: Build the policy framework that is responsive to the needs coming from communities that support a bold, new future for education.
- Work side-by-side with families, learners and community members;
- Join the overall council and/or one of the standing committees;
- Meet in person twice a year for two days to learn together and create new tools, resources and policies (fall and spring - kickoff meeting tentatively scheduled for Nov. 29-30, 2022);
- Meet more frequently if on a standing committee;
- Share standing committee learning with the statewide council and the commissioner of education; and
- Agree to an annual commitment with the option for annual renewal.