Kentucky Commissioner of Education Jason E. Glass announced on July 31, 2023, that he will step down from his position on Sept. 29 after three years at the helm of the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE).
This page will provide ongoing information about the commissioner search, including various resource materials and updates.
Commissioner Search Feedback Form
The Kentucky Board of Education (KBE) welcomes stakeholder feedback to inform the search for Kentucky's next Commissioner of Education. Please submit your anonymous comments via the Commissioner Search Feedback Form.
Search Firm RFP Process
On Aug. 21, 2023, the KBE authorized KDE to issue a solicitation for a national search firm that could begin a search for a new commissioner. The request for proposals may be found on Kentucky's Vendor Self Service website.
Information about KDE
KDE is a service agency of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The department provides resources and guidance to Kentucky's public schools and districts as they implement the state's P-12 education requirements. The department also serves as the state liaison for federal education requirements and funding opportunities.
The department is led by an appointed commissioner of education, who is hired by and reports to the 15-member KBE.
News Releases and Advisories
- Kentucky Board of Education approves negotiations for a vendor in the search for new commissioner (November 28, 2023)
- State Advisory Council for Gifted and Talented Education discusses commissioner search (November 16, 2023)
- Kentucky Board of Education votes to continue looking for firm to lead search for new commissioner (November 6, 2023)
- Kentucky Board of Education RFP Evaluation Committee to hold virtual meeting on Nov. 2 (October 24, 2023)
- Commissioner’s Student Advisory Council discusses expectations for interim commissioner and the 2024 legislative budget (October 19, 2023)
- Kentucky’s Education Professional Standards Board discusses commissioner search, Early Literacy Assessments (October 10, 2023)
- Kentucky Principals Advisory Council discusses commissioner search, Portrait of a Learner (September 29, 2023)
- KDE’s Superintendents Advisory Council discusses commissioner search, school construction costs, legislative priorities (September 22, 2023)
- Commissioner search, school accountability discussed during KDE School Curriculum, Assessment and Accountability Council meeting (September 19, 2023)
- Robin Fields Kinney named interim commissioner of the Kentucky Department of Education, will begin tenure Sept. 30 (September 14, 2023)
- Superintendents discuss their hopes for Kentucky's new education commissioner during KDE webcast (September 12, 2023)
- KDE's Family Partnership Council discusses commissioner search and family engagement (September 8, 2023)
- KDE’s Commissioners Student Advisory Council discusses educator recruitment, qualities for new commissioner (August 29, 2023)
- Kentucky Board of Education outlines next steps in commissioner search, approves Call to Action document (August 21, 2023)
- Kentucky Commissioner of Education Jason E. Glass to leave post Sept. 29 (July 31, 2023)
Any and all requests for media interviews about the Commissioner of Education search must be made through the Kentucky Department of Education's Division of Communications. Please email Chief Communications Officer Toni Konz Tatman at email@example.com.